Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strenght In Numbers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2005-11-26

Strenght In Numbers Empty
PostSubject: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptyTue 13 Dec - 0:53

Joan
13-03-2004 20:39 This is the #1 of all times! All the cd's I have and I've been listening to in the last 10 years can't beat this record! I still don't know why this record didn't get platinum ! Everything on this record is right! The songs are magical great! And the performance can't be better! SPYZ: thanks so much for making that cd!

Jay
14-03-2004 03:25 Because the world wasn't ready yet. Minds are so closed and people won't accept something diffrent. This CD and Heavy Metal Soul By The Pound are 2 of the best CD's made, and both have not left my changer in years!!

Jimi "Big Daddy" Hazel
16-03-2004 04:37 Thanx Joan and Jay! At the time of making the Strength, I remember thinking to myself, WOW! We've really made a great piece of work that should elevate Spyz to the level that I thought we could not have achieved with Peter and Anthony. And in one respect we did-that being the songwriting. Strength proved to be a blessing despite the shitty disrespectful job that Sylvia Rhone and the rest of the non-compus-mentus shitheads at East West. The blessing was Rick and I took our songwriting to a place we had never gone before. It took me years to be able to listen to that cd, without getting angry about the waste of something so personal. But the people who got Strength made all the difference! They listened and understood! That mattered more than anything else! I have favorite Spyz songs, but I have three favorite Spyz cds! Strength In Numbers, Heavy Metal Soul By The Pound and the one we've yet to write! Still Keeping It Real in 2004! HMS4L! JH

daveVV
16-03-2004 08:23 hell, ain't nothing wrong with 'temporarily disconnected' either! all great stuff! i've found that hmsbtp is good music for hiking/walking.

Pierre,zsfs16-03-2004 14:53 hell, ain't nothing wrong with any Spyz albums at least... If we go back in the forum, a few subjects ago, we can see that even if S.I.N is very well represented in the topics about our favourites 5 spyz 's songs, we can also see that Shivering Tom, MT, Jasko, Sam Nabors, Franck Graham,(and I) love songs from every Spyz albums !!!
For sure, we all hope that the best Spyz album is to come.
As KDB sayz: Peez.

Jimi "Big Daddy" Hazel
16-03-2004 16:33 The way I see it is, everyone has their own likes and dislikes! Mine are purely my own! Since I've said what my favorite Spyz cds are, my least favorite is Temporarily Disconnected! It has it's moments, but for me, it was like taking a step backwards. That cd would have been fine after Gumbo but coming after Strength was a big mistake. And that was all my fault. Rick and I were deep into tracking songs for the Black Angus project, and I got suckered into to doing TD. As that old saying goes, fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! It was a mistake that I lived with everyday, until I redeemed myself with HMSBTP! Wait until the book comes out, you'll understand much better! But for those who dig TD, more power to ya! Just don't ask me to sign it, I might snap it in two! HMS4L! JH

Oriol16-03-2004 19:03 Hey you guys, greetings from Barcelona.
Ok... "Strengh in numbers" is a masterpiece", no doubt about that. I don't know in USA, but in the 90's here we used to talk about that record as (like a singer friend of mine used to say) "this cd is full of music made BY musicians FOR musicians". And Jimi, don't blame me, but the TD cd got good songs that only spyz could have done. Okay okay, it's probably not the best spyz album, but songs like "Choose me" made the record worthwhile.

Jimi "Big Daddy" Hazel
16-03-2004 21:21 Hi Oriol!I've always said there are moments on TD that cannot be denied. True, there are songs that could have only been done by Spyz,BUT like I said, it was the wrong disc at the wrong time for the wrong reasons! I consider it a pimple on the ass of life! It's been popped, so I don't have to deal with it ever again! HMS4L! JH

Shivering_tom
26-03-2004 18:03 "Why?" on TD is a very good piece, I think ...

But Strengh and HMSBTP are my Fave ! Until Now )

Jimi Hazel
26-03-2004 19:35 "Why?" Is truly one of my favorite songs on TD!

Adriana
27-03-2004 00:32 The most beautiful song is Understanding and the coolest is I'm not going! And Why is a nice song too. Temp Disc is a great record to me. The best is SIN. I wish you record some songs of the 1st 2 cds with the 3 of you as a new studio album. With a brutal up-to-date sound. Those songs still will kick the asses of most bands around. They deserve to get a second life!

Adriana
27-03-2004 00:36 Oh I forgot a smily Very Happy

GCleff
29-03-2004 06:00 In my opinion S.I.N. is the definitive Spyz album its the one that I pull out when im trying to educate my comercially brain washed friends and say check this s--t out. As for TD I liked it but I understand what you mean Jimi when you say it has moments but I think you may be being a little hard on yourself look at it this way (WARNING!!! FOR THOSE SENSITIVE FOLKS TURN AWAY NOW) TD is still better than Colidescope why is that? Could it be that Jimi can out play Vernon while changing the baby, could it be that Rick can put a hurtin on Doug (even though Dough has more effects than any bass player on the planet) And Tony should be required by law to wear a radiation symbol on his chest with a glowing Bio Hazard on his back (Will is the s--t too its just a shame he spends most of his time reelin Vernon in from wherever he goes during his solos) now before you LC fans start tellin the UN I have WMD's and threatnin to take me out I like LC but they aint Spyz on there worse day. Yeah I said it (Warned you)

Pierre,zfsf
29-03-2004 09:16 From Adriana
Quote :
"Those songs still will kick the asses of most bands around. They deserve to get a second life!"

Yup !!! You're totally right !!! Maybe a Recorded Show. I live Spyz album is something really missing in my record Library.
And like Tom say's, "Spyz Will always Kick asses" of the most bands around..."
HMS4L, Pierre, zfsf

Jimi Hazel
30-03-2004 18:43 Hi Pierre! It's funny you should mention a live Spyz album! We have one that we're hoping to put out this year! It's called, Can You Hear The Sound? and we'll be looking for a "smart" company to release it in Europe! It was gonna be released next month, but the company we were dealing with (SPV) punked out at the last minute! Keep the faith! We'll release it before the year is out! HMS4L! JH

Corrine
30-03-2004 19:00 DAMN, GCLEFF! I think you've kicked some LC fans in the balls with that post! OUCH! But I must say, I agree wit cha! I like LC too, but there's something magical about Spyz that LC doesn't have. Spyz may be the last of a dying breed, a band that can play, write, produce and spank any other band without even trying, and not be egotistical about it! I was at the December 18th gig @ cbgbs, and I was blown away by everything they did! Musically, no one can touch them! But it was the warmth and love for the people they have! I felt honored to be in their midst, and at the same time, I felt like I was hanging with my best friends! LC is good, but Spyz are the REAL DEAL! For me, Heavy Metal Soul By The Pound is my favorite cd! SIN is my second choice! Thanks, GCleff for telling it like it T.I.S.!

Jay
02-04-2004 17:48 The thing that Spyz have that LC is lacking is a sense of humor! I love LC, and Fishbone, Body Count, Bad Brains and the rest of the brothers who showed my black ass how to bang my head. In all, Spyz have always been my fav (and I'm not sucking-up cause it's yo site.) The album I'm not hearing enough about in Gumbo. That CD changed the face of "black music" to me. GCLEFF is hating on Vernon, but don't. He and Jimi (Hazel and Hendrix) tought me how to play guitar. They all are my inspiration, even though I'm not good enough to hold any of there axes!! It's not about hating on any of these groups, they all are great (LC's latest could have been better, though.) I would die to see Spyz, LC, and Fishbone play a show togather, I think the earth would stop spinning. HMSBTP is the Bible of rock, but there is room for everybody.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2005-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptyTue 13 Dec - 0:54

Mr Eddy
04-04-2004 08:59 Well put, Jay. There is room for everybody! All these bands you listed are brilliant in their own way. Bad Brains, LC, Fishbone, the Spyz... And I'd like to add another name to the list (even if it's not an all-black band): Holland's Urban Dance Squad!! This was one of the most underrated music groups EVER! The true pioneers who blended rap, funk and heavy rock together (way before RATM). Am I right Jimi??

Jimi Hazel
04-04-2004 17:29 You are absolutely right, Mr. Eddy! Urban Dance Squad were true pioneers in the game! If every band that thought they were doing something great in the rap/rock field heard the first UDS joint, "Mental Floss For The Globe"- or any other of the UDS albums, they would have to stop and take SERIOUS NOTES! Spyz & UDS connected on our first trip to Europe, playing festivals & touring together! They were like our brothers from other mothers! Heavier, Funkier and groovier than Rage,Limp and any other band who claimed to have landed on the rock/rap planet! Rudeboy has a new band called "League Of XO Gentlemen". How wonderful it will be that on our first trip to Europe in seven years, they will share the stage with Spyz in Brussels! Make sure you go to the LINKS section and check them out! Good on ya, Mr. Eddy! UDS should be right up there with the other bands Jay listed! HMS4L! JH

Mr Eddy
06-04-2004 07:47 Jimi, I checked their website and I can't hardly wait to get their debut CD! Judging by the song samples I heard, LOXOG rocks!
Rudeboy is one talented cat! I like all the UDS records and I also dig Junkie XL (not as much as UDS, but it's kinda cool too). As for the Spyz playing with LOXOG, it's simply great!! It seems like life saves us great surprises, isn't it? I even remember Rick's thank-list on "Gumbo" in which he called Silvano (a.k.a. Silly Sil) his "twin brother in Holland"!!
One more thing, Jimi: I'm a contributing writer for Brazil's leading rock magazine and I'm currently working on a piece on today's black rock-n-roll scene. Would you agree doing an email interview?! Can we arrange that?? Thanks!

steph
06-04-2004 18:48 hey there! i'm from the philippines..i hear your songs from a friend.. and i absolutely liked them.. too bad they don't have your album here

Jimi Hazel
07-04-2004 13:30 Hey Steph! That's a problem we hope we WON'T have with the next release! I'm glad you liked what you heard! Keep the faith! Maybe we'll even get to play there! HMS4L! JH

Jeff
22-04-2004 01:16 I'd love to see a SPYZ & UDS show... I discovered both bands at the same time back in '89/'90...

Feike
16-07-2004 16:19 I agree, 'Why' is a masterpiece, like 'Burned' slipping from this beautiful soul-ish melody to very heavy and ever groovy and catchy swings -so smoothly... Only Spyz can do that. Over all I prefer Strength and HMS -or actually '6'. No bad songs -or even slightly boring ones- on either of them and the grooves on those albums are just unbelievable -and unlikely to be topped by anyone else.
Thanks a lot for sharing them with the world, guys!!

Monique
18-07-2004 19:59 Strength in numbers is also my best cd! I listen to it a few times every week.

El Canardo Loco
07-09-2004 15:23 from France:
Monique i love u! (lol)
i agree and do the same thing...and more 'cause i (try to)play it since 1992!
(is it dangerous doctor? )

yann
07-09-2004 23:03 waiting for the new one!
SUPER SPYZ ME !(again and again and again...)

robert gardner
09-09-2004 07:02 Sereality!!!
How come no one has mentioned this absolutely beautiful, melodic masterpiece? Jimi...I've written in several forums already...is there a live version of it? Have you ever played it on stage...man I REALLY LOVE THAT SONG! Please...play it live if you make a live album and also Clique Live....I am so glad that you are still out here man....come back to St. Louis, MO.

Robert

nnay yann
09-09-2004 14:44 certainly because every one knows that it is a masterpiece!

Lenny
30-09-2004 22:40 Strength in Numbers is my ALL TIME FAVORITE by Spyz. I still listen to my warped beat up cassette. God I've got to find it on CD.

Marc McCoy
30-09-2004 23:33 Dude check eBay. I got copies of everything there.

Sam
13-01-2005 07:45 Belong to Metal and you'll get droped, and then we'll have to send you on your way..a we'll be back! Sound like Spyz knew their own future.

paolo from paris
15-01-2005 20:23 "strengh"is da best fusion/métal record of all the time
keep on groovin guys!!

mawsi
05-03-2005 18:25 This disc is awesome !

King Sah
11-04-2005 18:58 Hey Jimi,
I hope you still check these posts out.
I gotta THANK YOU for your contribution to the Funk/ Rock/ Metal/ Soul of black folks (and folks in general). Especially for Strength In #s. That album has moved my soul since I first walked into a record store in STL back in '92 and heard Crime Story. I have been a fan since the first album and I love Gumbo M. But when I heard this album I thought, they have made it. And I was really excited about the possibilities of so called "Black Rock" or "Heavy Funk" becoming a more respected genre. However it seems like myself and a few of my more open minded, musically gifted homies were the only one to hear it. I'm glad that I found this forum and see that many others have heard and appreciated it. To this day that CD is still in my CD wallet.

Also, I luv Temp Dis. Sorry it was not a good memory for you. BODY THIEF is still my damn jam.

hit a brotha back and keep droppin' that Heavy stuff.

PEACE
King Sah

greg g.
26-04-2005 05:49 Jimi~
I dig your your wah playing in Judgement Day, Rick's throwin' down some sick stuff too during that chorus...also, Got it Goin' On has some sick Hendrix stuff goin' on as well. I turned all the boys down here in San Diego on to you guys back in when Harder Than You came out--we were callin' you guys the 'new' Bad Brains! Just thought I'd share that with ya! Peace! ~gg

greg g.
26-04-2005 05:58 I forgot: Social Plague has got to be one of the baddest jams of all time too! same with I Must Go On...locked myself in my room for 3 days to learn that intro! Burned many down listening to Spongi & Ballots!! (more reggae?!) also, if you don't mind tellin', what are the chords you're playing at the beginning of Break the Chains??? thanks for all of the good times we've had listening to/learning from your music.
~gg

Rich T
27-04-2005 01:27 Good luck learning those opening chords..It took me 13 years to finally nail them to where they sound REMOTELY close to my man Jimi. (lol)

jb
27-04-2005 10:33 this is one of my all time ffavorite albums. I have bought it and lost it a number of times...now i'm looking for it again and can't find a copy anywhere...help!!! Also...Jimi...Earth & Sky is one of those songs that I wish I wrote. keep up the good work.

SabianK
15-05-2005 17:40 "Strength In Numbers" is a kick ass cd that didn't get it's proper respect to me. The song writing was awesome and the musicianship was on point. I know a lot of people gave it praise who aren't even Spyz fan but the most important thing is ALL SPYZ FANS KNOW IT WAS DOPE!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strenght In Numbers Hms4life
Back to top Go down
Vinny22
Ze Ecru XL
Vinny22

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2005-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptyThu 15 Dec - 9:34

Friggin AWESOME CD
Jeff has a great voice and Joel pounds.
This Is... is also a kick ass CD same line up and they play
Earthquake which is a great Graham Central Station tune.
Very HMS.

I highly recommend it drunken
(both of them as a matter of fact.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/vinny22
Pat..
Absolute Fanatic
Pat..

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2005-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptySun 18 Dec - 8:19

I remember buying S.I.N., back in '92.. and really, really enjoying the sounds I heard coming from my simple radio/cd-player.. I played it over and over (something I don't do anymore with any cd..) it sounded more mature than anything the spyz did before.. Break the Chains, Crime Story, Purple, Stuntman... well they're all great songs..

Still it ain't my favorite Spyz cd.. But that has to do with my personal memories behind 'Gumbo', Strength is a good second.. What a Face

Strenght In Numbers Plotchbl
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/suicidal_android
Jimi Hazel
Special Sepia Guest Star
Jimi Hazel

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2005-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptySun 18 Dec - 12:38

My post from 2004 still holds true about Strength. Right now, I'm thinking about the next disc! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sepiaxl
Pat..
Absolute Fanatic
Pat..

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2005-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers EmptySun 18 Dec - 14:11

Maybe in a few months we'll be talking about F.T.D. with the same, or even better memories as well..
Just wait and see.. Suspect

The only 'problem'... I can't wait.. I want to hear Face the Day, not just snippets... Very Happy

Strenght In Numbers Plotchbl
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/suicidal_android
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strenght In Numbers   Strenght In Numbers Empty

Back to top Go down

Strenght In Numbers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Album Discussion-
Jump to: