Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)

Go down 
+4
Pierre, zfsf
Zwazi
Shivering_Tom
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2005-11-26

A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Empty
PostSubject: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyTue 13 Dec - 1:02

Jimi Hazel
10-07-2005 20:23 Hi Family! As we are coming to the finish (whew!) of recording the new disc, I was asked a question by a good friend of mine. He asked me, where do I see Spyz fitting in with today's rock scene? I in turn asked him in what sense? He said in every sense! I said that it's no different in 2005 then it was when we came out with the first joint in 1989! The only difference is we have a dedicated cult (?) following that spans the globe. Other than that, we still are not understood by many in the industry because they are misled by those who can't play their instruments well or write music that isn't their own. I think rock music as a whole is overladen with cliches, producers and writers that aren't in bands but write songs that'll get played on "modern rock radio". And I'm also sad to say that there still aren't many black faces on the rock scene. What I'm hoping this new Spyz disc does is open the eyes, ears & brains of people, letting them know that this is real music to many people for many different reasons. It's always about the musicians, the music & the melodies. My question to all of yall is, what do you think of today's rock music and where do you see Spyz in it? I thank you all for your time and thoughts in advance! Much Love & Peace! HMS4L! JH

kike Gimeno
11-07-2005 00:43 Hi Jimi,I would like to express my self in my own lenguage,anyway with my awful english what I can say is that with rock music,like pop music there is a big demand,is a massive bussiness,often people consumes music without so much criterion,there is an easy access to the music and many people acumulates music without control only for got it,and that´s is money.
Music is an art and a feeling and like you says people of that industry of course are bussiness and marketing people,there is so much success culture,and is difficult to find in today´s rock music, people with class,originality and the most important thing be themselves and be coherents with the music that they love and do.
and where do I see spyz in today´s rock music? well, if we keep on talkin´like before sadly you are not young,not pretty boys and you are ¡black people that play rock!¡what a sacrilege!
But if I talk about music,the true essence of the music I think that 24-7 spyz was pioneer in a style,many people drank in their fountain,but they still alive in 2005 are better with the years and they put their soul in the music.In today´s music they are deserving of a better recognition,but playing live there will be no doubts.

don price
11-07-2005 01:58 whew ! - thats a deep question jimi - As an artist/guitarist/musician myself, I have often wondered the very same question myself as it applies to my band and our music ... I know for a fact that any band that happens to "make it big", or become "the next big thing" , the record labels scramble to find that "winning formula" style of music by seeking out any and all bands that convey that style, simply to capitalize on it purely for its financial merit. But I really think that a lot of the bands that get lumped into "the next big thing" catagory, are truly doing what they love and are being honest about that particular style of music... but by being signed or "discovered" at that particular time, they end up being called "cookie-cutter" bands because they sound just like all the others that have "made it".
Now, don't get the impression that I hate modern rock radio... I think there are a lot of bands out there that have had radio / mtv success , but have a lot more to offer on their cd's that what "radio" thinks we want to hear . Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Incubus, Living Colour, King's X, and Sevendust have all had their share of success, but most fans (myself included)dig a particular band not because of the "hit" that's been played to death on radio and mtv, and crammed down our throats ... it's the other great songs and musicianship you discover deeper into their album. Many of the rock bands that are out now, will probably never see the release of their 2nd cd. .. Now,is that because the band is no longer marketable, or did the fans find out they were "fakes"?
Simply put... If you write and play from the heart ( like you do), the fans will respond, and the band will (just like 24-7 spyz) continue on and have longevity.
All my best to you Jimi, I don't know if I answered your original question or not... I have a habit of rambling on. - peace .

Pierre, zfsf
11-07-2005 09:54 Rock music has today the place marketing wants it to have... Every year we can have our "new rock band from hell, big sound, "the rock rebirth", the togs, the movie clip, blah blah blah..." and there 's nothing in there but a guy screaming in the mic, and fucking production behind to have good big sound, but where's the music ??? I do really think that rock is not rock so much since it's been kidnapped by industry, a long time ago... Just like if punks become sociable... Reminds me of ure "stuntman" song...
In my opinion, Spyz is far beyond rock... Because of all the things u put in every songs are not only some kind of bigger noise, or deeper or heavyer, no... The little "plus" actual rock bands don't have and never had, and that's what gave you the first place for me: you (of course)with your musical integrity and culture and soul...

"i 'll take u all around the world"

Thanks.

M^2
11-07-2005 19:11 Today's rock music is similar to the poor image quality you get from making copies of copies. Soon you won't be able to recognize what you have or where it came from.

I don't believe the Spyz will ever fit into the box that is today's rock music (Thank God). Never did, never will.

This CD will send people scrambling to uncover the Spyz secret just as they have done before.

True greatness is measure by how something effects others.

My 2 cnets

don price
11-07-2005 22:34 I couldn't agree more with the additional postings - well said ! - peace .

Rich T
15-07-2005 01:17 The Spyz fit today in 2005 just like the Spyz fit when I discovered them back in 1989 on MTV 30. The Spyz have always done their own thing regardless of music styles, trends, and fashion or whatever MTV brainwashed into people. Good music spans the test of time. I anticipate the new 2005-6 Spyz music and I'm sure it will shred whatever's out there now on the radio (that's considered popular). Today's "rock" music (if you want to call it that) is kind of shallow. All the bands now are wearing black eye shadow, black clothes, pink ties they bought at "Hot Topic", and pierced eyebrows and they all sound and look the same (like the hairbands in the 80's). And the record companies keep feeding this "pop- wanna be punk-mallcore-emo-mad at my parents becuase they didn't Tivo O.C for me" music out. Ugh...Spyz, please save us from this stuff!!

protoangel
20-07-2005 15:44 M^2... A very astute observation. this is the age of post-post modernism, where nothing ultimately has any meaning, 'cos its been copied without knowing the history behind the original... The digital age has made us complacent

Le canard fou jocolor
25-07-2005 20:36 I agree with the others fans!(roughly)
We can do the same observations for the movies and the tv and the books... ! Sh.t is everywhere because those who want people's money, know that an empty brain have an opened billfold for anybullsh.t that they need to sell!It 's easy to do. The significant thing isn't anymore the quality, but the quantity. You want to be happy? Don't think! You just have to love what i tell you to. Britney (God save her soul, if she got one) sold 10000000000000 of albums (since publicity says it)! Buy it! Since the greatest number buys it! you want rebellion? We've got it! 30 bands do the same music !witch one would you like to hear?
I'm outraged everyday to see how much people don't want to learn or undrestand something.
About the Rock !? Is it still alive on the radio or on tv?
The 24/7 SPYZ 's place in there? You're almost the only one! And like Master ZFSF said:"Spyz is far beyond rock... " But who is curious today?
Hope that the things will change and that people will open their eyes and ears and souls. I think that your hope is on stage because a long time ago i knew the man who knew the man who've seen the SPYZ in a live concert and who've bring us the"strenght in numbers"album. This day changed my life 4ever! So, there will be others men who'll see the SPYZ and who will bring the albums to other men! There's no end because you are "single" and " great humans"and everyone can hear it in your music. You're not the clone of another band!
You are fighting against absurdity with a big heart and without money. Please help us to remain waked up !! We need our SPYZ dope and want to share your musical science.
I spoke in the name of all ducks! Much love & peace & KWAKWAKwakwa!
HMS4Loco (because the world seems to be healthy of spirit, so crazy we are!)

Dave Thomas
20-09-2005 00:28 Most of today's music is quite boring.
I must say the business has played a big part in that.Spyz music has always for me been ahead of the game. I have always loved the fact that you have been true to the soul first, business second. I love being the first person to turn a friend on to your music. They are like "wow! who are these guys? Spyz music has always been inspirational to me since 89. No lettin' up in sight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Hms4life
Back to top Go down
Shivering_Tom
Absolute Fanatic
Shivering_Tom

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2005-11-30

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyWed 14 Dec - 16:30

I agree with the previous answers so far!

I don't think it can be put in any style...
It rocks with soul! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/atbobmusic
Zwazi
Track Addicts cofounder, bassplayer
Zwazi

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-01-24

PostSubject: no doubt   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyTue 24 Jan - 19:20

Jimi! no doubts please! you go and make it sparkle Speculation is pointless, can't even make a valid prediction about next 5 minutes!
I tried calling your people in France, they didn't respond, probably making loud music.Will try reaching Monte Christo and see if he'll meet em.
Do they have any jobs in Amsterdam?

p's

Zwazi
Back to top Go down
Pierre, zfsf
can sell his body for a new spyz album
Pierre, zfsf

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2005-11-26

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyWed 25 Jan - 2:18

Don't worry Zwazi (and welcome here !!!)!!! This Jimi 's post was coming from the old forum, a few months ago...

Overboost for 2006 !!!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the day face the blah blah motherfuckin' day !!!
Back to top Go down
http://chez-piw.forumactif.com/
Jimi Hazel
Special Sepia Guest Star
Jimi Hazel

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2005-11-28

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyWed 25 Jan - 20:47

Hey Zwazi! Great 2 see you up in here! TRACKADDICTS ROCK! A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Lovemuch Thanx 4 trying 2 connect with AH in France, they are bringing soul 2 a whole nother place! Here are the tour dates I have for Apollo Heights, I hope anyone nearby can go check them out!

Wed Jan 18 PARIS
Apollo Heights
Fleche D'Or

Fri Jan 20 NEWCASTLE (UK)
Apollo Heights
Dejligt
Brothers Yemen
The Egyptian Cottage

Wed Feb 1 PARIS
Apollo Heights
DJ Sugarfree (Honeychild)
Le Pulp

Thur Feb 2 PARIS
Daniel Chavis (Apollo Heights) unplugged
Julien (Hey Hey, My My) unplugged
others TBA
Le Rendez Vous Des Amis
Rue Gabriel Pery

Sat Feb 4 PRATO (ITALY)
Apollo Heights
Honeychild Coleman
Controsenso Wave Room
Via Saccenti n°31/33 Prato (PO) 59100
Zona Maliseti
PH +39 348 30 59 433

Friday Feb 10 PARIS
Apollo Heights
Mike Ladd
Point Ephemere

Saturday Feb 11 AVIANO (ITALY)
Apollo Heights
Dejligt
Melt
Velvet
www.velvetrockclub.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sepiaxl
doc funk
New

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyThu 26 Jan - 14:45

Having grown up and living in the midwest currently Spyz was always special to me because of the rock funk edge you bring to the music, I am a musician and had the privilege of seeing you twice live "The Shadow" with original line up and "The Hurricane" KCMO, your music allowed to explore my rock funk side with out feeling like an alien, like rock was only to be played and created by certain people, we did shows back in the day here in KC with a band called "Sinister Dane" who had done some shows with you guys so I have always felt a connection, my favorite Spyz track among many is "John Connelly's Theory", I can't wait for you guys to get back toward the midwest again, I know when they were in KC Matt was on drums from SD at the time. Any way I am a huge fan in any way if I can help spread the word let me know. Keep Funkin!
Back to top Go down
http://gospeladelic.com
vikingdog
Fan
vikingdog

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-01-27

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptySun 29 Jan - 11:57

I remember when I first heard Spyz. It was the winter of '89 and my buddy had the cassette of "Harder than you". Ever since that day I have been hooked. For the simple fact that the SPYZ was and will always be unique. Heavy Metal Soul by the pound, Brotha. What can I say. Nothing comes close!
Again I think the whole Cookie-cutter band arguement is so true nowadays. Turn on the radio these days (especially in the states) all you get is packaged sterile bullshit. And it all sounds the fucking same!!!
That's why I think we NEED bands like 24-7 Spyz and Fishbone around to save people from the Mundane, Boring-ass, sterile music scene that "They" try to shove down our throats.
And while I'm on this rant.... I think it's a sick thing when you realize that Britney Spears made more money in one year than Miles Davis, Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix made their entire careers while they were on this planet. What the fuck!!! The Masses are asses, man!
Anyways, I think I'm done. Thanx 4 listening. SPYZ AND FISHBONE RULES!!! Nobody comes close...........NOBODY!!!
P.S. I had the honor of having my band CHILLUM open up for both 24-7 Spyz and Fishbone when they came around here in Worcester, Ma. at the Lucky Dog Music Hall. and Jimi, when the tour does happen you guys are always welcomed here in Mass. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freakbyproduct.com
Jimi Hazel
Special Sepia Guest Star
Jimi Hazel

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2005-11-28

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyTue 31 Jan - 9:43

Hey Vikingdog! I remember Chillum! Good 2 see ya up in here! I posted this topic a while ago, but I see that every so often a response pops up! I know what time it is and what we need to do has almost nothing to do with the industry or the mASSES! It's all about the people that care about the quality of the music and the individuality of the artists that make the music! The "box" is in full effect again and at some point- as always- it will break! But when it happens, it won't be because some bloated record exec chose to put his paycheck on the line to break new ground! It'll happen when the people get tired of the shit that they are offered by the record companies and seek out things for themselves! The revolution won't happen on MTV or MTV2, unless you're white and playing rock cause the plantation they run rarely shows anything black unless it fits the "minstrel" trappings of exploitive hip hop or even sadder r & b, if you can call it that! That's the box, my friend! And after all these years, I'm proud to say that we still don't fit! I think we'll make our way up to Worcester this summer, I'll keep ya posted!
A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Facezeda A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Facezeda A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Facezeda A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Facezeda
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sepiaxl
mentzer50
Super Fan
mentzer50

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2005-12-09

PostSubject: Best Compliment!   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyTue 31 Jan - 17:08

My take on where the Spyz fit in is that the fact that they don't sound like all the others is the best compliment I can pay them! It sucks to see talented people like the Spyz, Fishbone, UDS, King's X, Stevie Salas, etc. have to bust their butts like they do and not maybe get what they deserve. The beauty is the fans they have are still here. We value those bands and support them with much love and respect. We have to be the crusaders and try and keep spreading the word on great bands like the Spyz. And finally, technology is great to have a website like this to show Jimi how much we dig what he does and how incredibly excited we all are to get our hands and ears on FACE THE DAY! I'm ready for my HMSFL fix!!!
Back to top Go down
vikingdog
Fan
vikingdog

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-01-27

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) EmptyFri 3 Feb - 13:43

Right on, Mentzer. I hear ya. And Jimi, I couldn't agree with you more with the "Box" theory. So true. I'm reminded of a song Fishbone wrote called "Rock Star" which describes that very thing. Looking forward to "Face the day". and please let us know what we could do to spread the word for ya. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freakbyproduct.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)   A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel) Empty

Back to top Go down

A QUESTION 2 ALL! (by Jimi Hazel)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 24-7 Spyz Discussion-
Jump to: