Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jimi's guitar tuning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Doc_McCoy
New

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-05-20

Jimi's guitar tuning Empty
PostSubject: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptySat 20 May - 20:33

Apologies if this is inappropriate to post, I'm new to the board. The Spyz are one of my all-time favorite bands. I just found out today they're back together.

Question for Jimi (or anybody else that can answer). I play guitar, I've figured out how to play some of the Spyz' songs over the years (not the nasty solos, of course, I'm not in that league).

Wondering if Jimi uses a special tuning for his guitar. When Heavy Metal Soul By The Pound came out, I couldn't figure out how to play anything on there, figured if I knew how Jimi tuned his guitar I may be able to figure some of it out.

(I don't suppose there are Spyz tabs posted anywhere on the net?)

Thanks for any info. Long live the Spyz in 2K6....
Back to top Go down
DaSauce
Fan
DaSauce

Number of posts : 8
Localisation : Vermonter, Trapped In Ca. Behind The Orange Curtain
Registration date : 2006-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyWed 24 May - 16:12

Obviously Jimi Hazel is the only human who can answer any question about his guitar tuning. Additionally--I don't play, so who the f*3[< am I to answer this?
But as someone with an ear who has reviewed a ton of music over the years--I'd bet that album uses drop-tuning in various forms (both for Jimi and Rick) and I'll bet that the two of them use the same configuration--otherwise they wouldn't sound so damned on and tight.

Until you hear from SepiaXL himself on this? Look up drop tuning and play with a Drop C and a Drop D. They do interesting sound inversions and changes.
Back to top Go down
le canard fou
Ze only Duck who listen 24-7 Spyz
le canard fou

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2005-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyWed 24 May - 17:38

Interestings questions and answer Exclamation

I think that a "normal" tuning is possible to play strenght in numbers!
(I massacre it like that!except crime storythat i learned with a drop C)
But maybe i'm totaly wrong!
About Jimi's guitar tuning Facezeda i think it's possible too!
(i just massacre 4/5 songs like that)
But i'm just a duck with an old guitar and i haven't the ANSWER!
So please may consider that i said nothing.
except: there's no Spyz tabs on the net. I'm sure about that... and happy too (i did too much work to approach... during too much years) For your ears only afro

&

KWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWAKWA
Back to top Go down
Mario Giacuccia
Méga Fan
Mario Giacuccia

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2005-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyWed 24 May - 22:47

Welcome to the board my brother Doc sunny
I'm sorry our main man Jimi hasn't responded yet Crying or Very sad Jimi's guitar tuning Whataw

The dropped D tuning sounds most crucial, then just tuning the other strings accordingly. Our other homeskillet Dimebag tuned this way and my brother Traa Daniels bassist for P.O.D. tunes this method, along with guitarist Jason. It makes the strings much more looser, for a laid back feel. Great for bends and dexterity. Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned this way as well.
I have performed a few Spyz covers (paying props) while leaving my 6 string bass within the standard tuning and my hipshot dropped down to low A. Talk about thunderous bottomend rectal gyrations that lovely ladies like to grind they booties too bounce bounce bounce

Le Canard Fou Floatillia Spyz brethernm, you have a point that one can get away with dropping only the top string and droning off the open note.
Jimi's guitar tuning Hms4life
Back to top Go down
le canard fou
Ze only Duck who listen 24-7 Spyz
le canard fou

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2005-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyThu 25 May - 5:09

YES you'r right Mario Bro' also named "El Magnifico Vibro" by the ladies! pig Wink lol!

I'm thinking about according my guitar like that since many years but think i'm gonna be lost to play everything else that Spyz songs or Pantera songs!
Idea I need a second guitar!

Very Happy Idea So ... Send me your money at:

Le canard fou
Floatilla's pond Park
75013 Paris
FRANCE
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

And confused Welcome to the board Duck Mc Coy & Jimi's guitar tuning Plotchbl DaSauce Jimi's guitar tuning Plotchbl Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimi Hazel
Special Sepia Guest Star
Jimi Hazel

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2005-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyThu 8 Jun - 11:11

What Up, Fam? Sorry 2 b sooooo tardy Sleep ! Welcome 2 the board, Doc! Here's the deal with my tunings! I've always had a thing for changing the pitch of music, beginning as a child when I used to slow down records on the turntable! When I started playing guitar, everybody and their mother would jam in the key of E. I hated the key of E! I always tuned my guitars down but over the years, they've gotten tuned lower than usual lol! HMS was the disc where I tuned down the lowest. Here's my tuning for the majority of that disc: BEADF#B. I see colors when I tune down (it's not the LSD Jimi's guitar tuning Lovemuch ) and it affects me emotionally. If you plan to try the tuning, go for a heavier gauge of string than I use! I use light strings (9-42) and they may be a little too loose for ya. I've never done the drop D thang, it's a little too sissy like for me! Not to mention, it became the fake way to achieve heaviness! Tuning down doesn't make things heavier, the groove does! That's just my opinion! Tune your guitar down and have a blast! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sepiaxl
DaSauce
Fan
DaSauce

Number of posts : 8
Localisation : Vermonter, Trapped In Ca. Behind The Orange Curtain
Registration date : 2006-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning EmptyWed 14 Jun - 16:59

See? Told you only Jimi could answer that. I should have shut my typing finger-based trap.

Grin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimi's guitar tuning   Jimi's guitar tuning Empty

Back to top Go down

Jimi's guitar tuning
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: 24-7 Spyz Discussion-
Jump to: